What is Anti-Aging Dentistry & Dento-Facial Aesthetics?
When you meet people for the first time, what’s the first thing you think you notice? Is it their hair color, eye color, skin? Well if you said their smile, you’re not alone. A survey for USA Today by Philips Sonicare found that 47% of respondents chose a great smile as the feature that most attracted them. Second was eyes, with 31%. With this in mind, Anti-Aging Dentistry and Dento-Facial Aesthetics looks at a patient’s face and smile as a whole and incorporates cosmetic dental procedures such as teeth whitening, porcelain veneers, crowns and dental implants with skin treatments like wrinkle relaxing injections and dermal/lip fillers to help reshape or enhance a patient’s smile and appearance.
Dento-Facial Aesthetics Skin Treatments
- Wrinkle Relaxer Injections – are purified natural proteins that are administered through the skin to block the nerve signals to certain muscles. The muscles then become more relaxed, which in turn reduces the appearance of lines and wrinkles in the overlying skin They are often used for “Crows Feet” and “Frown Lines” between the eyes (the “Crooked 11”) but can also be used to treat forehead wrinkles. Once the area is treated, the effects on the muscles usually become apparent within a few hours, with the main effects appearing after about a week. The results are temporary (3-6 months) which means you will need top-ups a few times a year if you wish to maintain your line-free look.
- Dermal/Lip Fillers – Injectable cosmetic fillers, also known as dermal fillers, are derived from naturally occurring proteins found in the body (hyaluronic acid accid). They are used to replace, complement or enhance soft tissue in the skin for the purpose of reducing wrinkles and providing volume to your skin. Dermal fillers can be used to fix a variety of concerns related to facial aging, including:
- Adding volume and smoothing out the deep creases that run from the nose to the mouth (called nasolabial folds or laugh lines).
- Plumping thin lips and smoothing out vertical lines around the edges of the lips which can also act as a finishing touch to a cosmetic dental procedure or smile makeover.
- Augmenting cheeks to enhance their shape, often restoring youthful fullness. Like wrinkle relaxers, dermal fillers provide immediate results but the effect is only temporary, lasting between 6 – 12 months before being completely absorbed by the body.
Questions About Dento-Facial Aesthetics
Q: I am a smoker, what can Dento-Facial Aesthetics do to improve my smile?
A: Many of our patients who are smokers come to our practice with concerns relating to the appearance of their teeth and skin. Some of these concerns include, the color of their teeth and the lines around their lips. Teeth whitening and/or Porcelain Veneers can help with the color and look of your teeth while Lip and Dermal Fillers can help plump up smile and smoker lines which helps to erase some of the aesthetic damage cigarette smoking can do to your skin and teeth.
Q: I am in my 30’s, am I too young to consider Dento-Facial Aesthetics?
A: This is a difficult question to answer as not everyone ages the same. Many factors come in to play when it comes to the appearance of our teeth and skin. Some of these factors include, diet, lifestyle and our DNA (genetics). I have treated men and women with concerns about their teeth and skin as early as their mid 20’s to as late as their 70’s. Since Dento-Facial Aesthetics combines both Cosmetic Dentistry and Skin Care, regardless of your age, if you are beginning to notice your teeth are becoming dull in color or smile lines are starting to become more pronounced, give my office a call and we can help address your dental and skincare concerns all under one roof.
Q: Do you offer a free consultation so I can discuss my concerns before beginning treatment?
A: Absolutely, yes! In fact, at our office we do one better…we provide you with a complete and personalized Dento-Facial Aesthetics Plan prior to beginning any treatment. To help analyze your skin and smile, we use the Visia Complexion Analysis System as well as Digital Smile Design technology. From there we put together a treatment plan to address both your dental and skin care needs. As part of this process we carefully select the dental and skin care procedures needed to meet your goals in the minimal number of sessions.
Scheduling a Free Smile Assessment
If you are considering Anti-Aging or a Dento-Facial Aesthetic Procedure to help improve the appearance of your skin and smile, call our office 08 6244 0089 or click here now to schedule a Free Smile Assessment & Computerize Complexion Analysis and let us help you look and feel your best at every stage of life.
* Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risk. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.